ACG is committed to protecting and conserving resources in ways that will serve the environment now and in the future. Some of these practices include:
- Producing double-sided documents whenever possible.
- Turning off unused equipment to reduce energy being used by 25 percent.
- Turning off the computers at the end of the day to save an additional 50 percent.
- Seeking out suppliers who take back packaging for reuse.
- Searching for “greener” products and services in the local community, since the further supplies travel, the more energy is used in getting them.
- Reducing fax-related paper waste by using a fax-modem to send directly from computers, and trying to use fax cover sheet only when absolutely necessary.
- Closing taps tightly after use. One drop wasted per second wastes 10,000 litres per year.
- Finding paper suppliers with maximum available recycled content.
- Communicating by email, and not printing them when unnecessary.
- Refurbishing old office furniture rather than replacing it.
- Installing displacement dams in toilet reservoirs. Placing one or two plastic containers filled with stones — not bricks — in the toilet’s reservoir will displace about 4 litres of water per flush, a huge reduction in water use over a year.